Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankful for...



I like so many, often think of Thanksgiving as a time to reflect on the gifts I have in life as well as the big feast of turkey.  I am sure you do to at this time.

I am thankful for the love of my wife, family and friends. For my good health longevity and prosperity. I am thankful for my position on the faculty of one of the best art schools in the Northwest. For a life long artistic career and all the adventures it presents.

I know it all could be otherwise except for the right turns I've made instead of the left ones that would have put me somewhere else doing something else. It's a gamble, each day is a new set of choices. Each choice changes the events that open before me. I guess the best I can do is to be with each moment as a witness, no as a participant of it's unfolding. That's the key participate in the NOW. Living in the now that's all there is, all else is illusion, no past, no future. I am thankful for NOW, Oh and NOW and NOW.

Thank you for the illusion too, sometimes we need to step out on reality. The NOW can often be boring, not all it's cracked up to be and while I'm at it, thanks for dreams and all the fantasies I find myself dreaming. Have you ever had a dream that was so good you didn't want to wake up? I have, but then I wake up... so now I'm thankful for the new day. Oh, and the rain falling outside... and the sunshine that will eventually follow. Right?

1 comment:

Dennis Lewis said...

Hey Barry,

So good to hear you speak of such positive living. We are here for such a very short time. I'm really glad to know you and very proud to call you my friend. Have a blessed holiday season and stay in the "Now", for it is there where life is constant and the answers to "Why" are discovered.

your buddy

-Dennis Lewis