Sunday, December 19, 2010

Part 2 Capitol Reef The Alter of the Sun and The Alter of the Moon


The sun is hot and bright as I am approaching Cathedral Valley.  I am driving slowly through rolling rounded mounds of sententious beauty... to be here and to know this feeling of deep appreciation for my experience. The road turns and then before me the valley opens to a remarkable view of rock formations that can only be called Alters to Nature.







As I drive up to the Alter of the Sun I can not help but be amazed by the scale and color of the huge towering formation.

Approaching the Alter of the Sun





Parked in front of the Alter of the Sun.


Across from the Alter of the Sun stands the smaller but no less impressive Alter of the Moon.
At the foot of the Sun
Gazing past the alter across the valley floor, I see the Alter of the Moon. Many hours are spent walking amongst the Alters as the shadows lengthen. As I write this it is difficult for me to put in words the feelings I am having. The sense that I am in a sacred place prevails and I can only imagine the spirits of lives past that have felt the same.


In the distance the snow covered peeks of the Henrys









 I am tempted to stay longer but the shadows are growing long and I know I don't want to drive out of the valley in the dark, I am not prepared to spend the night, so I reluctantly pack up and start the long drive back. I know I must return to this place someday.


The road back














Back to the main Highway and off to Moab and the Arches National Park.

No comments: